Choosing a High School
Articles on School Size
Small Schools vs Big Schools
Small Schools Get Results
Bill Gates: Creating Small High Schools
Education Week: High School Reform
Jack and the Giant School
Queens University Study on Preparedness of Public High School Students Entering the UNC System with Emphasis on Charlotte Mecklenburg
DID YOU KNOW?
Countryside Montessori High School:
- Focuses on the Montessori philosophy of educating the whole student--leadership, communication, and responsibility are all stressed daily.
- Encourages students to achieve their very best by maintaining high standards of excellence and providing individual assistance when needed.
- Prepares students for success in the 21st century by teaching critical thinking, presentation, research, reflection and communication skills in all classes.
- Has a low student-teacher ratio that allows for personal relationships between students and teachers. This fosters mutual respect and understanding, which, in turn, leads to classes where all students actively participate in their education.
- Has teachers who “go beyond the books” by demonstrating real world relevance of their lessons through speakers, field trips, and personal life experience.
- Average SAT score: 1251
- ACT composite average: 29.5
- Provides a professional college planner to meet individually with students and parents beginning in their 10th grade year.
- Has teachers who are either state certified in their curriculum area or have a college degree in their subject area. Our teachers have an average of over 12 years teaching experience.
- Uses an online grade book system to allow parents and students to easily stay up to date with grades.
- Offers over 32 core courses with honors course options and over 10 AP classes.
- Offers electives based on student interest such as: Technology, Yearbook, Philosophy, Divergent Thinking, Journalism, Percussion Ensemble, Graphic Design, Music Theory and Song Writing, and Visual Arts.
- Offers students the ability to design their own elective class or take on-line classes for high school and college credit.
- Holds an intersession twice a year where students focus on only one class for two weeks. This emersion gives students the opportunity to delve deeply into a subject or to participate in an extended field study such as: an ecological and community service trip to Costa Rica, Marine Biology Trip to Key West, Fashion Design, Drumming, Biking and bike repair, and Forensic Science. Required intersessions include: Student Success Class, Community Service, College Tours, Career Internships.
- Competes against other high schools in volleyball, cross country, basketball, golf and tennis.
- Is located in a new 19,000 square ft. facility on a peaceful 17 wooded acres.